Dec 27, 2011

Farhan Akhtar's movie always mind blowing

Zoya Akhtar, Farhan Akhtar(middle) & Hrithik Roshan
This was by far my favorite movie coming out of Bollywood this year. There were a few other good films -made in India- but none of them were so unanimously embraced by my Western friends as was "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara".

Whoever hadn’t seen a Bollywood movie until then or even adamantly refused to see one has turned around and is now open to see more! a cross-generational success among my acquaintances..and nothing short of a miracle. For the last five years I have been running into walls convincing my friends to come with me to see Bollywood movies, but this one worked MAGIC.
So I ended up seeing it three four times taking batches of friends at a time. I may suffer mildly from attention deficit disorder, like we all do, but every time I watched "Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara" I was entertained and it felt like watching it for the first time. Actually, I can’t find any flaw in it, no matter how hard I try to detect one. The cinematography is brilliant. The writing is brilliant. The acting is brilliant. The songs fantastic. EVEN the SUBTITLES are good. the poetry is beautifully translated (I can’t vouch for it, of course, my Hindi skills are equivalent to hello and goodbye)
"Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara" is not only fun to watch because of its beautiful locations in Spain, captivating the beauty of scuba diving, sky-diving, running with the bulls, tomato-fights, star filled nights, grandiose landscapes, flamenco dances, all of that is captivating  but it weaves splendidly together stories of friendship and love and pain and examines what we want out of life. We can all relate to the questions lingering there..the self-doubts. Like every good road movie, the journey is external and internal, changing lives at the end. Every time we travel, leaving behind a life stuck in a rut of sorts, we change in minuscule or more profound ways. Traveling helps to readjust one’s perspectives. Traveling is a meditation.

Dear Farhan/Zoya, thank you for this superbly refreshing movie!! I hope it will be this year’s entry for Cannes and the Oscars. Because if THIS MOVIE gets more exposure on International circuits it will open the doors wide for Western audiences to let Bollywood come and sweep them up!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More