Apr 3, 2012

Florence Welch didn't want to be a personality

Florence Welch "fought hard" for her music to define her rather than becoming a "personality" at the beginning of her career.



The British songstress rose to fame with her band Florence + the Machine when they launched their debut album Lungs in 2009. There was much buzz surrounding the record and Florence herself, and the red-headed star was determined to show she was a credible musician amongst the commotion.

"When I first started, especially because I got the Critics Choice before I'd released an album, there was a lot scrutiny on what my character was, what my background was, what colour my hair was. I fought quite hard for the music to overtake the personality aspect," she told Stylist magazine.

"I didn't want to become a personality, I wanted to be a musician, but because I didn't have an album to stand by yet it was hard for people to see that. But now, two albums in, I'm happy with things."

Florence is known for her quirky personality. The 25-year-old has revealed how her friends would describe her.

"Excitable, easily distracted, sometimes vacant, prone to gloominess and also extreme euphoria; I can't be generous with time, but I try to be generous with affection," she explained.

"I'm really lucky to be able to be in some of these situations and it feels really nice to be able to take people along with me for the ride. Oh, and I'm a pain in the ass as well."



© Cover Media                               04.Mar.2012

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More